Buying a Wi-Fi repeater – what you should look out for
Posted On 04/02/2021
If the reception goes to pieces a few walls away, it is helpful to acquire a Wi-Fi repeater. This way, a stable Internet connection is maintained. For example, if you want to share your Wi-Fi with a neighbor, you can use a powerline repeater, which has a wide range.
Important info on a good Internet connection
- A Wi-Fi repeater is not only useful for rooms further away. According to some tests, they also help when the Wifi is affected by sources of interference
- To play games, a stable signal is very important.
- Also other services that require constant data exchange, such as streaming videos through streaming services or even video telephony need a stable signal.
- Already from two walls you feel a significant improvement in your Wi-Fi signal.
The classic repeater and the powerline repeater
Also with Wi-Fi repeaters, a distinction is made between two different models. While a classic Wi-Fi repeater is used for a few specific rooms, a powerline repeater bridges long distances. For most households, a classic Wi-Fi repeater is enough.
- They catch the radio signal and pass it on.
- They are cheap.
- No additional cables are necessary.
- It is an additional part.
The powerline repeater was previously developed only for industries. Today, they are also available for private homes:
- Powerline repeaters can easily bridge distances to the next apartment.
- They are therefore suitable if you want to share the Wi-Fi.
- The repeater consists of a receiver unit and a transmitter unit.
- The network is more stable.
- The repeaters are, however, quite expensive.